Join PEP in our
Four-Week Leaning Series
Cognitive, Healthy Living and Supportive Services
Location: 12 Elliot Street, Perth
Time: 6:30 pm – 8 pm
Speakers and Topics Include:
Tuesday March 7th
Diagnosis and What to Expect
Dr. Anil Kuchinad, MD and CCFP, Cognitive Care Clinic
Come and learn about Dr. Kuchinad’s Cognitive Care Clinic which is located at the Elliot Street Clinic. The Care Clinic follows Dr. Linda Lee’s mode.
The Clinic is a multidisciplinary approach for early diagnosis, treatment and support of problems associated with memory loss. Those who participate in the cognitive care clinic will learn what to expect after diagnosis and will be given a comprehensive, individualized treatment plan to help the family doctor provide the best of care for the individual participating in the clinic. What a great opportunity to learn more about the Cognitive Care Clinic and see if this is a service you would like to participate in.
Tuesday March 14th
Lifestyle and Retirement Living
Lifestyle: Suzanne Rintoul, RPN
Our ability to maintain life-long healthy Brains is very much influenced by the choices we make in our daily lives. Research has found that next to aging, the most influential factors in determining one’s susceptibility to dementia are lifestyle and environmental factors.
Suzanne will provide us with healthy living tips:
- Avoid harmful habits such as smoking, recreational drug use and excessive alcohol consumption.
- Track your health numbers: keep your blood pressure, cholesterol, weight and blood sugar within recommended ranges. If you have diabetes, it is important to manage it. All of these conditions increase your risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- See your doctor regularly to address specific health concerns including diet and physical activity.
- Get adequate sleep – sleep deprivation can significantly impair your memory, mood and function.
Retirement Living: Paul Morris, Advisor, A Place for Mom
Senior Living Options
Do you know what your options are for senior living? Government funded, CCAC options, LTC options, Home Care, private pay retirement facilities, come to this educational seminar to find out just what Is out there and be prepared for the future, A Place for Mom is a FREE service for seniors and their families looking at options both for future and immediate plans
Tuesday March 21st
Treatment Recommendations and Supportive Care
Treatment Recommendations: Becky Ballamy, Pharmacist, Perth Downtown Pharmasave
Info to come.
Supportive Care: Robin Hull, Education Coordinator, Alzheimer Society Lanark, Leeds and Grenville
Robin will be talking about the services that they provide for both the caregiver and the person living with a dementia, and the importance of accessing help in the earlier stages of a dementia.
Tuesday March 28th
Caregiver Support and Advanced Care Planning
Caregiver Support: Mike McCleery, MSW RSW, Registered Social Worker, Kanata Psychology and Counselling Centre
Mike will be discussing the following in his presentation:
- Preparing for the next steps
- Caregiver Stress & Burn Out
- Grieving about having to place a loved one
- Aligning Objectives with the goals of being safe
- Back-up Plan
Advanced Care Planning: Julia Miller, Research Coordinator, Geriatric Medicine Queen’s University
- Will provide an overview of the Advance Care Planning process in Ontario
- Explain how the role of the Substitute Decision Maker and a person’s ability to make informed personal care decisions fit into the process
- Clarify the importance of Advance Care Planning
- Talk about possible challenges in the process and ways to address them
- Share helpful resources for participants and their families
Everyone is welcome, however those not associated as a PEP Client, a $50.00 payment is required for the series (Donation receipt provided).
PEP Clients and Family: no cost to attend but donations are appreciated.
Register early as space is limited.
The Learning Series will be taking place at the Elliot Street Clinic (12 Elliot Street Perth). The time is from 6:30 – 8 pm.Please feel free to call the PEP office at 613-201-7172 for more information.